Andrew latest: Government to consider legislation to remove Mountbatten-Windsor from line of succession
Government May Consider Law to Remove Andrew from Line of Succession
Friday 20 February 2026 | 21:30 UK
Ministers could introduce new legislation to remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the royal line of succession once the ongoing police investigation linked to the Epstein files has concluded, Sky News understands.
The move would follow his arrest by Thames Valley Police on suspicion of misconduct in public office. He was held for more than 11 hours before being released under investigation. Andrew has denied any wrongdoing.
Police Enquiries Widen
The Metropolitan Police confirmed it is contacting former and serving protection officers who worked closely with Andrew in a security capacity. Officers have been asked to consider whether anything they witnessed during their service could assist ongoing reviews.
Separately, the Met said it is assessing information suggesting London airports may have been used to facilitate trafficking and sexual exploitation, following the release of further documents by the US Department of Justice.
Other forces — including West Midlands, Bedfordshire and Essex police — are also reviewing material relating to private flights into Birmingham, Luton and Stansted airports.
Searches Continue
Searches at Royal Lodge in Berkshire, Andrew’s former residence, will continue until Monday, Thames Valley Police said. Officers were seen entering and exiting the Windsor property for a second consecutive day.
Earlier searches at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate have concluded.
Succession and Legal Hurdles
Andrew is currently eighth in line to the throne, behind:
-
King Charles III
-
Prince William
-
Prince George
-
Princess Charlotte
-
Prince Louis
-
Prince Harry
-
Prince Archie
-
Princess Lilibet
Any change to the line of succession would require legislation and consultation with Commonwealth realms where the British monarch is head of state.
Political correspondent Rob Powell said the government is likely to proceed cautiously, given the active police investigation. While largely symbolic — given Andrew’s position in the order — such a move would be unprecedented in modern times.
Public and Political Reaction
A YouGov poll reported strong public backing for his removal from the line of succession.
Conservative leader Kemi Badenoch said the King’s handling of the situation had been “exemplary,” adding that “no one is above the law.”
The King has stated investigators have his “full and wholehearted support” and that “the law must take its course.”
Meanwhile, the Princess Royal declined to comment on her brother’s arrest during a public engagement in Yorkshire.
What Happens Next?
Investigations are expected to take months, possibly years. Any legislative step regarding the succession would likely wait until police inquiries conclude.
For now, attention remains on the expanding police reviews and the constitutional implications for the monarchy.